Tuesday, March 21, 2006

judge jru hearts Sweden



That blurry blob you see before you is the cute little Swedish singer/songwriter named Jose Gonzalez.

I saw him at the Jensen Rec Center in the ultra hip LA neighborhood known as Echo Park this evening.

I don't tend to like male singer/songwriters, because they are usually either too twee like Damien Rice or too pretty in a weird former British soldier but now I'm a sensitive man kind of way like James Blunt.

But dudes (and dude-ettes)...Jose is awesome!


How can you not love a Swedish hipster that has the balls to sing a Kylie Minogue cover?



OK...I know...what is all this non-Idol nonsense...right?

Well...in the midst of trying to acquire our pre-purchased Jose tickets craziness, both the sister ru and I totally spaced about setting up the VCR to tape the Idol (ghetto I know, but my TiVo was verybusy with 'Scrubs').

Once I got home and realized the mistake, it was already 45 minutes into the latest two hour marathon edition of the Idol.

AND THEN, my online source for Idol episodes failed me!


So here I am...left to review the Idol for the first time...without the full show.


BUT thanks to the unbelievably quick Rickey.org...I'm going to be able to judge the first four contestants...although my judgment will be based on JUST the audio of their performances.

As for the rest, it'll be the same as it ever was.


So enough with the ridiculous explanation/plug for the Swedish hipster...on to tonight's episode of the Idol:


THE TOP 11 OF THE IDOL 5
(Theme: 1950s night/Barry Manilow Helps Out)



1) Mandisa ("I Don't Hurt Anymore," by Dinah Washington) - Loved it. Loved everything about it. Thinking of being Mandisa for Halloween.


2) Bucky Covington ("Oh Boy," by Buddy Holly) - One of these 11 things is not like the other.

One of them just isn't the same.

I'll give you hint.

It's you, Bucky!


3) Paris Bennett ("Fever," by Peggy Lee) - You know what I said about Mandisa? Multiply that by two.


4) Chris Daughtry ("Walk the Line," by Johnny Cash) - Magically Chris managed to figure out a way to FUEL Johnny Cash.

And guess what?

It totally works!


5) Katharine McPhee ("Come Rain or Come Shine," by Ella Fitzgerald) - I enjoyed Katharine's performance almost as much as I love her new hair extensions.


6) Taylor Hicks ("I'll Fade Away," by Buddy Holly) - I don't care for the shiny suit with white sneakers combo. And I still don't care for Taylor's jerky performance style.

He still bugs.

Hardcore.


7) Lisa Tucker ("Why Do Fools Fall in Love," by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers) - Boring yet again!

I'd rather watch that terrible Halle Berry/Larenz Tate Frankie Lymon biopic of the same name than have to suffer through Lisa's overly precocious performance again.

Thank G-d my fast forward button still works.


8) Kevin Covais ("When I Fall in Love," by Nat King Cole)
- I give up. The lisping wonder known as Kevin Covais continues to defy all odds by sticking around week after week.

And so, I don't really care to comment on anything about the matter right now.


9) Elliott Yamin ("Teach Me Tonight," by Al Jarreau) - Good.

That's all I got for Mr. Yamin.

He was good.


10) Kellie Pickler ("Walking After Midnight," by Patsy Cline) - I'm done with the jeans/short dress combo bit that girls seem to like to do nowadays.

It's just FUGLY dude!

As for Kellie's performance, it was acceptable.


11) Ace Young ("In the Still of the Night," by the Five Satins) - Pretty Pretty Ace...you're so lucky you are so pretty, because if you looked like Elliott...yo ass would be gone after that lameness.



judge jru pretends to vote


If I had gotten home in time, I would have voted for Mandisa, Paris, and Chris. Once each.


judge jru predicts

Bucky or Lisa. Most definitely.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bucky is british!

check it out@
http://buckycon.blogspot.com

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dialidol.com says that elliot was getting the lowest number of calls.

whatever.

and I know you don't like ace's singing, but if he goes before bucky or kevin, AI will be hearing from my lawyer.

1:52 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

I can't tell if Kellie Pickler is incredibly stupid or annoyingly adorable...

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aj- she's incredibly stupid. "What's a ballsy?!" If the girl had more than one brain cell the possibility of them bumping into one another and causing friction, much less a thought, would probably kill her.

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, she's not that dumb. She's just playing the part. It worked for Jessica Simpson, Dolly Parton, and Marilyn Monroe.

Too bad America continues to fall for it.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home