Monday, May 02, 2005

16 Days Until Kelly "Rocks" the Wiltern

WARNING: NON-AMERICAN IDOL RELATED POST

In an effort to distract myself from obsessing about Kelly's upcoming concert at the Wiltern, I went to Coachella this weekend...which was awesome, exhausting, and titillating all at once.



M.I.A. was definitely the highlight of the festival. Even though she was on the third smallest stage (Gobi) and her band consisted of a DJ and a backup singer, this Sri Lankan female rapper brought the noise and the funk. She was the ONLY person/band at Coachella that actually managed to finagle out an encore (or at least her encore was the only one I saw).

Check out some of her tunes:

"Galang" (snippet) - M.I.A.

"Pull Up The Poor" (acapella) - M.I.A.


"Supergalang" - M.I.A. vs. Super Mario Brothers


* * *

Below is a list of the other bands/musical acts I managed to check out while sweating my a** off in the desert (in order):

Snow Patrol - Rocked in their own Irish Soft Rock way.

Keane - Cute and dorky.

Rilo Kiley - Fun-ish. Slightly disappointing.

Wilco - A little staid and "jam" band-y.

Weezer
- When did Weezer turn into frat-boy rock?

The Secret Machines
- Surprisingly enjoyable.

Bloc Party - Good, but didn't rock my socks off.

Coldplay - Dull. I also didn't stick around for them too long, because I really wanted to go check out...

Spoon - Moments of brilliance...but I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

(It was at this point that my friend and I ended up running into Jerry O'Connell and Robecca Romijn-Stamos at the front desk of Le Parker Meridian Palm Springs Hotel. We were being told that they didn't have a room for us, while Jerry was busy buying a pack of Menthols.)

Sloan - Rocked even more than I thought they would.

Jem - Super skinny cute perky British chick with an awesome voice.

M.I.A. - Magical.

The Bravery - Totally disappointing.


And that was my weekend at Coachella.

2 Comments:

Blogger TRENT said...

What's all this Coachella crap? What kind of American Idol blog is this?!

PS: The Bravery rule!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Recreativo Narc√≥tico said...

The Bravery suck

Should have caught NIN or New Order or British Sea Power instead.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home